Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2018

Wizard of Oz - Pondering about Glenda


I love the movie "The Wizard of Oz" - unlike kids today, who can stream it and watch it whenever they want, I remember growing up when you could only see it once a year, they would show it on TV and it was a big deal in our family.  My siblings and I would put pillows on the floor, and lay on our tummies to watch in front of our HUGE 19-inch TV and mom would make some Jiffy Pop.  (This was even before homes had microwaves, if you can imagine the time!)



Anyway...every year, when it would begin, my mom would always say "I thought this movie was in color" and every year, we would have to remind her that it turns to color when she gets to Oz.
(Which was so magical in the 1960s and I can only imagine how magical that was in 1939 when the movie premiered.



I always questioned the part where Dorothy meets Glenda (the so-called Good Witch)

You see, on behalf of the munchkins, Glenda asks Dorothy if she is a good witch or a bad witch. Dorothy says she is not a witch, all witches are old and ugly. Glenda and the munchkins just laugh and laugh and tells her that only bad witches are ugly.

OKAY - here is where I always questioned it....

So why did she ask Dorothy if SHE was a bad witch? Was she trying to imply Dorothy was ugly? Hmmmm...maybe Glenda wasn't so good after-all. I sure sounds like that to me...

What do you think? Judge for yourself and see if you agree with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment