Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Crab & Swiss Quiche


Gee, can you tell where I usually grocery shop?

So..I haven't posted a recipe in a while and was thinking about how I haven't made quiche in a while.  I love this recipe.  Many, many, many years ago, I was flipping through one of my mom's church cookbooks (which are the best by the way) and came across a recipe my Aunt Evelyn had submitted called "Hamburger Quiche".  My mom and all her sisters are great cooks so it got my attention right away, especially when I read that crab could be substituted for ground beef.

Here is the recipe as it appears in the cook book:
 You can see it calls for green onion, which I admit adds good flavor, but I don't care for it because it is an overbearing/strong flavor to me, so I use a few dashes of onion powder instead.  Also, I forget the cornstarch about half the time - it helps the thicken up the quiche but if you leave it out, just cook the quiche a tad bit longer.

This recipe is very versatile and I can't believe it only calls for 2 eggs but it really is enough.   I always use a deep dish pie shell.  The funny thing is, I never made the Hamburger Quiche version.  I have made the Crab & Swiss many, many times.  I've also  made diced ham and swiss, sausage and Cheddar and even just plain cheese quiche with Cheddar, Monterrey Jack and Swiss.  I'll have to try the Hamburger version one of these days.

I posted this recipe on Allrecipes many years ago and they actually gave it 2 different names and put it in 2 different categories.  It is funny, the recipe is the same but the reviews can be so different - LOL !  One is listed as Crab and Swiss Quiche and the other is listed as Crab Quiche II.  They both have 4 1/2 stars so I guess that is pretty good at least.



Crab & Swiss Quiche
  • 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 pound imitation crabmeat 
  • Onion powder (to taste)
  • Black pepper (to taste)
  • Old Bay Seasoning (if desired, to taste)
 Preheat oven to 350, mix eggs, milk, mayo, cornstarch, cheese, crab meat, onion powder (or diced green onions), black pepper and pour into pie shell.  If desired (and I always desire), sprinkle with Old Bay Seafood seasoning.


Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes, until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool slightly and enjoy.  Note:  At the 30 minute mark, I like to sprinkle the quiche with real shredded Parmesan cheese (not the grated Kraft in the can but the shredded kind you can buy or shred yourself), then bake the remaining 10 minutes.

Oh so good !!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, this is a really nice post about fish/seafood. It would be great if you linked to it in my Food on Friday series. This week it is about all things fishy and seafoody. Food on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up. Soon there will be a super "fishy" collection.

    ReplyDelete