Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Favorite TV Character - Sue Heck !

I feel like there are not many shows on TV that families can watch and enjoy together.  There are plenty of shows for adults (CSI, Grey's Anatomy, Castle, 20/20, etc) but I wouldn't let my kids watch those shows.  There are plenty of shows for kids (iCarly, Wizards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life, etc) but adults don't always necessarily enjoy them.

There are only a handful of shows families can watch and enjoy together, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and The Middle.   When I was a kid, there were lots of sitcoms on TV that we could watch and my parents liked too.  But on the main 3 networks, I can only think of one sitcom that adults would like and I wouldn't mind my kids watching and that is The Middle.

My favorite character on The Middle (and one of my all time fave TV characters) is Sue Heck, who is the middle child and the only daughter of the family.

Why do I love Sue? Mainly because she is so upbeat and positive.  You rarely see Sue when she isn't smiling, even in situations where most people would not. 

She is definitely not the most graceful person in the world, in fact she is quite the opposite, a bit clumsy and accident prone but she is feisty and determined and when she sets her mind to something, she doesn't quit. Poor Sue, things don't generally go her way, even when they should.  Bad luck tends to follow her around but in the end, she remains upbeat.

She can take pretty much any situation and turn it into something positive.  Plus she is not afraid to try new things - most girls that are considered "geeks" or "nerds" at school would never try out for cheerleading but not Sue - heck, she decided to start a whole cheerleading squad for the high school basketball team because they didn't have any cheer leaders.


I love Sue's style.  She is bright and fun - while considered a geek or nerd at school, she does not see herself in that light - she is confident, smart, funny and positive.  Sue is the kind of girl that always sees the silver lining behind the dark cloud.  She is a go-getter.


I strive to be more like Sue, happy with yourself, confident, positive and always seeing the good things in life.  If more people were like her, the world would be a better place.

Recently, Sue was suppose to get her braces off but was told she had to wear them a bit longer.  I was looking forward to what she'd look like without them.  Now I kind of know....

Sue (who is approx 14 - 15 years old) is played by the incredibly talented 20 year old Eden Sher, who is anything but a geek and here is what she looks like without the braces.


So.... Here is to a good family sitcom with a positive and happy character - yeah for Sue Heck !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment