Pages

Friday, February 11, 2022

Ball Bands Galore

Yesterday, I talked about yarn and all the various forms it comes in.

When you buy a skein or cake of yarn at most major retailers, they come wrapped with a piece of paper that describes the yarn (the brand, the color, the dye lot #, the fiber type, the weight, etc.).

This piece of paper is called a Ball Band because it is a band that goes around the yarn ball (or skein or cake).

Often, the Ball Band comes with a pattern on the inside.  Now I know there are millions of patterns on the Internet now, but back in the pre-internet days, a good way to get a pattern is by buying some yarn, which gave you patterns to give you some ideas on what to do with it.

Not all yarn come with patterns now, but most of the well-known brands still do and I love that!

Here are all the Ball Bands I had left from when I made the crochet hats for FOTS ministries.


As you can see, there are pictures on it, showing the pattern that is included on the inside of the Ball Band.  I had a couple of duplicates so I threw those away.

I then rolled my left over yarn up into balls and labeled them.  One side of the label has the name of the yarn and the color.  The other side has how much of the yarn I have left (I mark out and change it as needed).  This way, I have a nice way to organize all my leftover/scrap yarn, which can be used for smaller projects.

Then I look through the patterns on the Ball Bands, decide which ones I would like to keep and store them in a Ziploc bag.

 

I keep all my yarn organized in a large rubber maid container and I add it to my list on Ravelry so I will always know what I have. 
 



1 comment: