Pages

Friday, January 27, 2023

Prayer Shawls # 4 & 5

 I am part of a prayer shawl ministry at our church.  I am so happy to be part of this group.  I have been wanting our church to do this for years and we started last year.  I was hoping to make at least 6 last year.  I was able to finish 3.  I'm okay with that - that means 3 people were prayed for by me the entire time I was making it for them and I hope the shawls brought them comfort and peace.  I don't always know who they will go to but I know they will go to someone who needs prayer.

If you want to learn more about a Christian prayer shawl, you can read more on Lion Brand Yarn's website by clicking HERE.

I would like to knit/crochet at least 6 shawls this year.  Really, I would like to make 12 but I am setting a realistic goal for myself.

I've already completed 2 and I am starting on my 3rd one today.

Here are the 2 I completed this month - both crocheted.

This one is called To The Point and is made with Yarn Bee Sugarwheel yarn in the color Saturday Sundae. I wasn't sure about the colors at first but I really ended up liking them. It was yarn I had it my stash for a few years, so I was glad to finally put it to good use.

Honestly, the pattern wasn't written exactly right because it would say "double crochet in the next space"but the next space was a chain space and what they really meant was to double crochet in the double crochet on the row below.  But once I figured out what they meant, the pattern was actually pretty easy to follow and memorize...I am sure I will be making this pattern again.

 
The other one I made is what I call the original prayer shawl pattern.  The first time I heard about prayer shawls was when I saw this one in a Lion Brand pattern book and it made me interested in making them.  Someone had donated some Homespun yarn to our church and I decided to take advantage of that.  Homespun yarn is super, super soft...perfect for a prayer shawl.

In addition, I've really been having problems photographing these shawls and seeing what they look like from behind.  I have thought about getting a torso stand just for this purpose and I found one that was super cheap on Amazon, so I decided to go for it.

The last time our prayer shawl group met at church, I discovered we still had some donated Homespun yarn, so I picked up a couple of matching skeins for the next prayer shawl, which I will be knitting.




No comments:

Post a Comment