Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Mayberry's Orange Cookies a.k.a. Harvey's Little Big Orange Cookies

Yesterday, I was looking at a vintage recipe Facebook group and she had a link to a cookie recipe.  She called them "Aunt Bee's Little Big Orange Cookies".

Well, I have this cookbook and they are actually called "Harvey's Little Big Orange Cookies".  The recipe was submitted for the cookbook by the Andy Griffith Show's writer, Harvey Bullock.

I love this cookbook - it's so fun.  I originally bought it so I could make Aunt Bee's Nesselrode Pie (which actually turned out to be Clara's recipe)

So...when I saw the recipe posted on the Facebook group, I pulled out my copy of the cookbook and see it that is isn't Aunt Bee's recipe, but rather Harvey's

It is a super simple recipe, and I had everything on hand so I thought...let's give it a go.


 


 

Well...the first batch looked a bit over-baked and they really spread out and were super thin


The cookies,  however, were quite tasty and didn't taste over-baked.  They were a perfect crispy cookie.

But, I decided to chill the dough for a few hours and see what happened.  I baked the cookies 8 minutes instead of 10, for the 2nd batch and guess what?

They were exactly the same as the first batch. In fact, they may have spread even more.


I am not exactly sure why they spread out so thin, but my guess is that it has too much butter.  I mean 8 oz of butter (2 sticks) is a lot.  

They really are very good though - a nice orange flavor but not too much, crispy and yummy!  If I make these again, I'd cut the butter in half and maybe use only 3/4 cup of sugar, just to see.  

The judges on the "Spring Baking Championship" would tell me they are not lookers but I would probably win on taste!


No comments:

Post a Comment