Pages

Monday, March 7, 2022

Elvis' (& Sheree's) Banana Bread

It is a pretty well known fact that Elvis Presley (the greatest of all time), loved southern food and one of his favorite meals was Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches.  Now...don't knock it if you haven't tried it.  If you like peanut butter and you like bananas, you will like it.  Elvis knew what he was talking about.

As for me...not a big fan of bananas...I like the flavor just fine and like dried bananas and like the flavor of bananas in things but it is a texture thing for me.  Peanut Butter on the other hand, well, I probably could live off peanut butter.  

And what is the best thing to pair with peanut butter...chocolate of course. 

My sister loves chocolate chip banana bread and I admit - so do I (as long as the bananas are well mashed).  I also love peanut butter so....what better to make than Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread or "Elvis' Banana Bread"

My former boss, Margaret, made the BEST chocolate chip banana bread...I miss her.  She moved away several years ago and we lost contact.  I wish I had her recipe, but I don't...so I found a banana bread recipe and improvised.  I added some chocolate chips and some peanut butter cups.  I started to add a little bit of peanut butter to the batter, but thought it might be too much and overpower the banana bread so decided to leave it out this time.

I am making this loaf to share with my sister - hope she likes my twist on it.  It may not be the same as Cinnaholic's but hope she likes it just as much, if not more!


 

Elvis' Banana Bread

  • 3-4 medium, overripe bananas
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 c. vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups All Purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • dash of ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips + additional for topping 
  • 4 Reese's Peanut Butter cups (2 finely chopped and 2 coarsely chopped)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with banking spray

Whisk together the bananas, sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla until smooth.

Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and mix to combine (may be a little lumpy - that is okay)

Gently fold in the chocolate chips and 2 finely chopped peanut butter cups, careful to not over mix.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with some chocolate chips and 2 coarsely chopped peanut butter cups).  

If desired, sprinkle with just a little bit of sugar. 


Bake for 55 minutes (start checking for done-ness at 45 minutes, cover the top with foil if needed to prevent over-browning).

Let cool before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. THAT looks yummy!! Let us know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good but not a total success - part of it sunk in and the chocolate over powered the banana flavor. I think I need to keep working on it :)

      Delete