Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2024

52 Ancestors - Week 4 - Witness to History

I have a lot of ancestors that were witness to history...so many involved in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, one that was the sister-in-law of Henry VIII and so much more! 

However, I decided to write about Thomas Rogers.  Thomas Rogers is my 11th great-grandfather and he witnessed history by traveling to America on The Mayflower!

Thomas is listed on the passenger list, along with his son, Joseph, who was 12 at the time.  Joseph is not my direct ancestor (rather he is my 10th great uncle).  Thomas & Joseph's family arrived in America later, including my 10 great-grandfather, John Rogers, who arrived at Plymouth, Mass in 1628.



Thomas Rogers signed the Mayflower Compact


In my research, I discovered that he was born in Watford, Northhamptonshire England.  He became a citizen of Leiden Holland in 1618.  In 1619, he sued a baker and a miller of Leiden to free a lien on his house, probably in preparation for his journey.  He won the suit and was awarded the court costs.  He built the house in 1616 and sold in April 1620. 

Unfortunately, not long after he arrived, there was a great sickness amoung the settler's and Thomas died during the "first sickness" as it was called.

I just can't imagine what it would be like to leave my family behind, take my 12 year old son and get on a ship, travel across the Atlantic Ocean for 2 months and settle in an unfamiliar, barely inhabited land.  To be there and actually sign the Mayflower Compact.  



He not only witnessed history in the making, but he was also part of it!  


No comments:

Post a Comment