Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Trisha Yearwood's Crock Pot Mac & Cheese


When I first found out Trisha Yearwood was going to have her own cooking show I was so excited and immediately set my TiVo to record every episode.  I have tried a few of her recipes - one of my faves being her Hot Corn Dip and they are all good !

I love macaroni and cheese and I like easy crock pot cooking so thought I would give this a try.



Trish Yearwood's Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese
  • Cooking spray
  • 8 ounces elbow macaroni
  • One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Dash of pepper
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • Two 10-ounce bricks sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
  • Dash of paprika

Directions

First - grate your cheese - I decided to use one brick of mild and one brick of sharp - whoo hoo, good arm exercise and boy is that a lot of cheese

Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray (like Pam), mix the macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with paprika.

Notice that it didn't say to pre-cook the macaroni so I didn't and it all was done and tender when I took it out.  However, when I watched her cooking show, she pre-cooked it and added it - I might try that next time but it cooked just fine adding in dried pasta.


Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes. Turn off the crockpot, stir the mixture and serve hot. 


The finished dish was not as thick as I like mac and cheese to be.....If I make this again, I will leave out half of the milk, I would add a little bit of dry mustard and I would use all sharp cheddar. 



8 comments:

  1. ohhh yes, definitely a little spicy mustard and extra sharp cheese, please! mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I could use pepper jack cheese to give it some bite.

    I don't even want to think what the calorie count is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, same here - I don't want to know the calorie count. Wouldn't be something to make everyday that is for sure. Will try the extra sharp cheese or pepper jack next time - bother are good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Looks rich! Have a great week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I saw an ad for her show and it looks like "Paula Dean Does Oklahoma"! All the calories...all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool I didn't think it was possible to make noodles in a crock pot without making a mushy mess, I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew she was a cookbook girl, LOL. Love the sounds of the mac and cheese, wish I could eat pasta:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this recipe with pre-cooked noodles and skipped the crockpot and used the oven! FABULOUS!!!! Again, FABULOUS!! I got rave reviews and its perfect each time and cheaper than using velveeta, sourcream and other cheeses.. Bake it covered in buttered dish for 55 minutes and uncovered for ten mins! DA BOMB! Peace out...

    ReplyDelete