Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March 2014 Movies

List of movies that I saw in March 2014 that were new to me:

Adventures of Ichabob & Mr. Toad - now I * may * have seen this when I was young.  But I don't remember it if did.  You see, when I was growing up, you didn't get to watch Disney movies whenever you wanted, you had to wait until they "re-released" it every so many years in the theaters or if you were lucky, they were shown on the Wonderful World of Disney.  This movie came out long before I was born - it was Disney's 11th animated film and was released October 5, 1949.  I wanted to see it because I remember Mr. Toad's Wild Ride from Walt Disney World (I wish they still had that, it is a Winnie the Pooh ride now).  It is narrated and sung by Bing Crosby and tells two stories based on the books "The Wind & The Willow" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".  Cute movie! Brom Bone reminded me of Gaston from "Beauty & The Beast" - they were both boozers and they were both bullies.






See.....This is Gaston




 And this is Brom Bone











Tim's Vermeer - this is a documentary.  It follows inventor Tim Jenison as he seeks to understand the painting techniques used by Dutch Master Johannes Vermeer. He spends 5 painstaking years of his life reproducing the scene of Vermeer's The Music Lesson and using gadgets to reproduce the painting - it was so fascinating and I think he proved what he set out to prove, which was that Vermeer used his own gadgets/technology/optical devices to paint his famous paintings.  A very interesting watch, even if you are not really into "art".  But I think he also proved that if Vermeer did use these devises, the painting are incredible masterpieces !!!

White House Down - I wanted to see this when it first came out but never was able to.  It was a thriller, about a group of terrorist, who set off a bomb in the rotunda of the U.S. Capitol as a diversion for their real task....taking over the White House and getting the president to meet their demands.  It was very good - I love these kind of movies!!  Joey King was in it and she is just an AMAZING young actress.  I loved her in the Conjuring - she is such a natural talent - I expect to see her a lot in the future. 

Insidious -  When I started watching this - I already kind of knew what to expect and how it would end but I didn't remember how I knew that.  It is considered a "horror" movie but wasn't all that scary to me...I remembered certain scenes but not others.  But after it was over, I think I know why it seemed familar in places.  I think I tried watching it once before and kept falling asleep and only saw parts of it here and there.  Not that it is a boring movie that makes you fall asleep.  I just happened to be sleepy the first time I saw it.  It was okay - I love Patrick Wilson but thought Rose Byrne just wasn't all that good (sorry Rose).  The premise is that a couple thinks their house is haunted but later learns it isn't their house but rather their "comatosed" son - who really isn't in a coma but his spirit is in another realm - uh - okay - whatever.  I heard there was a Insidious 2 and heard it wasn't very good.  This one was just okay but doesn't make me want to see a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment