Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2019

Pretty Pastels Dishcloth with Instructions

I saw this pattern and decided I wanted to make it for the annual dishcloth swap. I usually knit the dishcloths for the swap because I like knit cloths better but...in last year's swap, I received some crocheted cloths and I really liked them - they have a bit more scrubbing power and are strong and durable to I decided that I would do crochet cloths this year.

I saw this pattern called Pretty Pastels Dishcloth and decided to make it.  I bought the book on eBay for $2 and was almost ready to go except I know the pattern contained an error (as noted on Ravelry).
However, I searched all over to find it and even sent messages to a couple of others who had made it and no one had the errata (what they call errors in the knitting/crochet world) information.

So I just decided to follow the pattern as written and see if I could figure it out myself.  Well...I found the errors - there were more than one and thought I would share it in case others wanted to crochet it too.  I hope this will help.

I found out AFTER I bought the book, that the pattern is now free and can be found HERE.  The pattern in the book is slightly different than the free pattern but I think the free pattern is a little clearer and since it is free, I am referencing it here instead of the version in the book.

Section 1:  Work just as stated in the pattern

Ch 3. 
Row 1: (right side) Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in last ch, turn. 
Row 2: Ch 1, working in back loops only, sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, turn. (3 sc) 
Row 3: Ch 1, working through back loops only, 2 sc in first sc, sc in each sc to end, turn. 
Row 4: Ch 1, working through back loops only, sc in each sc to last sc, 2 sc in last sc, turn.
Rows 5-18: Repeat Rows 3 and 4 seven times
Row 19: Repeat Row 3. (20 sc), Do Not break yarn, turn.


My Notes: At the end of section 1 - it should look like this.  The book says turn 90 degrees and work on straight edge - well as you can see, there are 2 straight edges - it doesn't say to turn 90 degrees clockwise or counter clockwise so how do you know?  You don't but the using the photo below, I indicated the direction on how you should continue to Section 2.


Section 2:  Work just as stated in the pattern

Row 1: (right side) Ch 1, working along straight edge at right angles to last row, work 20 sc evenly across, turn. 
Row 2: Ch 1, sc2tog over first 2 sts, working through back loops only, sc in each sc to end, turn. 
Row 3: Ch 1, working through back loops only, sc in each sc to last 2 sc, sc2tog, turn. 
Rows 4-19: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 eight times
Row 20: Ch 1, sc2tog, Do Not break yarn, do not turn

My Notes: At the end of section 2 - it should look like the photo below.  The pattern says do not turn but you HAVE to turn to continue. Again, the books says turn 90 degrees but you don't know if you should work down the straight side or the slanted side, Logically it seems you should work down the straight side, as before.  I indicated the direction on how you should continue to Section 3.


Section 3:  Here is where the errors start - Row 1 is okay as written

Third Section:Work as given for Second Section. Don't do this! If you do, your decreases will be on the wrong side and your dishcloth will suddenly look all wonky.  Instead....

Row 1: (right side) Ch 1, working along straight edge at right angles to last row, work 20 sc evenly across, turn. 
Row 2: Ch 1,  working through back loops only, sc in each sc to last 2 stitches, then sc2tog over last 2 sts, ch 1 turn. 
Row 3: Working through back loops only, sc in each sc to last 2 sc, ch 1, turn. 
Rows 4-19: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 eight times.
Row 20: Ch 1, sc2tog, Do Not break yarn, 

My Notes: To ensure the decreases are in the properly place, you decrease at the end (not the beginning of row 2 - so don't just repeat Section 2 as the pattern states, it is wrong.  Your cloth should now look like the photo below. I indicated the direction on how you should continue to Section 4.


Section 4:  This section doesn't have an error per se, but it isn't clear as written. 

Third Section:Work as given for Second Section. Don't do this! If you do, your decreases will be on the wrong side and your dishcloth will suddenly look all wonky.  Instead....

Row 1: (right side) Ch 1, working along straight edge at right angles to last row, work 20 sc evenly across, sc in last sc of Row 19 of First Section, sc in next st of Row 19 
Row 2: Ch 1, working through back loops only, sc in each sc to last 2 sc, sc2tog, turn. 
Row 3: Ch 1, sc2tog over first 2 sc, working through back loops only, sc in each sc to end, sc in each of next 2 sc of Row 19 of First Section, turn. 
Rows 4-19: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 eight times, Do Not break yarn, Do not turn.

My Notes: The part that I think is confusing in the book is that it implies you continue to work in the first 2 stitches of row 19 of Section 1, The free pattern is a little clearer in that what you are doing is actually moving up the rows on section 1 and joining section 4 to section 1 as you go - you just keep moving up.  When you are done with Section 4, your dishcloth should look like the photo below.  Now continue to the border (if desired).  


Border:  This section doesn't have an error, work as written.

Rnd 1: Work 20 sc along each side of Dishcloth, having 3 sc in each corner, join with sl st in first sc. 
Rnd 2: Ch 1, *3 sc in next sc, sl st in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st in first sc.
Fasten off.Weave in all ends.

My Notes:  I recommend the border is added since it gives it the completed and finished look.  It works up quickly.  When you are done, the dishcloth will look like this.



1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am still confused by this pattern and don't understand section 4. If I do row 1 as written,then I will have sc 22 times, as well as chain 1? Is the chain 1 just parallel to row 19 from section 1? And if I have 22 sc, then by row 19 of section 4 I still have 4 sc left, which seems wrong? Hope you can help, thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete