Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter


I like having the Food Network on in the background when I clean house - sometimes I poke my head in there to see what they are cooking and stick around for a bit. There are some shows I will actually sit down and watch (like Next Food Network Star or those incredible Cake Challenges) but mostly catch shows just here and there.

My favorite Food Network stars are Paula Deen (of course - love that southern cooking and made many of her recipes), Sandra Lee (she is just so fun and her recipes are easy and good) , Rachael Ray (who could make a plain slice of bread look yum-o) and of course Giada De Laurentiis (whose tasty Italian dishes are usually budget and time friendly).

I have made several of Giada's dishes but one of my favorites that is super-duper easy and tastes oh-so-good is her Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter

Giada's Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter

  • 18 to 20 ounces store-bought ravioli (cheese, mushroom, or squash)
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the ravioli and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally. Drain ravioli onto a large serving platter.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the foam subsides, and the butter begins to turn a golden brown, about 3 minutes, turn off the heat. Let cool for about 1 minute. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Transfer the ravioli to the pan saucepan with the balsamic brown butter. Sprinkle walnuts and Parmesan over the top. Serve immediately.

I can't even tell you how easy and good this is. I prefer it with Butternut Squash but that can be hard to find in the stores and if I make it, it takes an easy recipe to a more complicated one and I don't want that. So if I can't find the frozen butternut squash ravioli (which I seldom ever can), then my 2nd choices is Mushroom ravioli. Depending on the store that can even be hard to find but most the time I can find that one - but if not, the cheese is very, very good too. I don't recommend using a meat ravioli for this sauce - I haven't tried it but I don't think it would be as good as a more "vegetarian" choice.
Thanks for the delicious and easy pasta dish Giada !!


No comments:

Post a Comment