Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Red Velvet Double Doozies !


I made these for my co-workers and they were literally gone in 2 minutes.
I had a recipe for Red Velvet Whoopie Pies but I significantly altered it and came up with this instead.

This makes about 20 cookies.  I  doubled the recipe but learned that the filling is more than enough.  Only the cookie recipe needs to be doubled if you want 40 -  you most likely will not need to double the filling.

Red Velvet Double Doozies

Cookies:
1 box red velvet cake mix
2 eggs
½ cup vegetable oil

Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups confectioner’s sugar

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix together cake mix, eggs and oil (mixture will be thick).

Roll into balls about the size of a walnut and place a couple of inches apart on an un-greased cookie sheet (I line it with parchment paper)

Bake in pre-heated oven 8 – 10 minutes (until tops kind of look cracked).

Removed from oven, set aside until completely cooled.

Meanwhile, in a separate bowl mix cream cheese and butter until blended. Add milk, vanilla and confectioner’s sugar (a cup at a time) and blend until smooth and creamy (should be slightly thick but spreadable) – add milk a little at a time to thin or add more confectioner’s sugar to thicken.

When cookies are completely cooled, spread filling on half of the cookies, top with the other halves.

NOTE: I was going to roll the edges into chopped pecans but decided not to do that. Next time I think I will do at least half of them that way.

Enjoy !!

3 comments:

  1. These look and sound delicious!!
    thank you for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good. Think I'm gonna try them out with my boys this week while they are out of school. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete