Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

52 Ancestors - Week 6 - Earning a Living



The timing of this particular week is rather perfect.  I just so happened upon an article about my great-uncle James Monroe Slaughter, who was known by Monroe.  This article discussed how he earned his living, along with my cousin's grandfather, Fletcher Ward, Sr.

It seems my great uncle and my cousin's grandfather had a nice, little moonshine business going on.  This really wasn't a surprise to me, as my dad had told me about how his Uncle Monroe, as well as his daddy, my grandfather had both spent time in prison for moonshining.  It seems to have been quite a family business...I am SO glad my dad chose a different path and never went down that road.

However, I know that not only my grandfather and some great uncles were in the business of moonshining, so was my dad's mom - my grandma.  This was way before I came along.  But my daddy would say she'd stand on the back porch and sell the moonshine.  Often pocketing and hiding some of the money from her husband. 

I guess back then, it was easier for them to take a chance of earning a living by making moonshine than spending all day out in the hot Florida sun farming.



No comments:

Post a Comment