Pages

Thursday, February 29, 2024

52 Ancestors - Week 7 - Immigration

Boy, there is a lot I could talk about concerning immigration, but I decided to post about John Slaughter, since he was the first of my Slaughter ancestors to immigrate to America.

John Slaughter, my 10th great grandfather, was born in 1585 in England.  I'm not exactly sure where he was born but he was baptized in 1596 in Kent, England, as noted in the Tyler Index of Parish Registry (1538-1874)


According to the Passenger & Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s, he arrived in Virgina in 1617.  He is actually the farthest Slaughter I have been able to go back to, which is pretty far, I must say.  I haven't been able to properly identify his parents, although I did identify his wife, Catherine Finnis.

I am not 100% sure of his death date.  Some of my research indicates 1620, but I have found a lot of evidence recently that he most like died during the Jamestown Massacre in 1622. However, other information indicates that his brother William actually died during the Massacre, perhaps both did? 

At any rate, I'm so proud of my 10th great grandfather for leaving England and selling to Virginia, approximately 160 years before America became its own country and gained its independence from England.

It's incredible to believe that my ancestors and family have been on this land for that long!! It kind of blows my mind when I think about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment