Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

CD Coasters


While over at my house one evening, my sister was venting about how she couldn't find a coaster that didn't stick to the bottom of her glass when she picked it up or one that didn't fill up with water as your ice melted. I told her that I could make her one using an old CD and if she liked it, then I'd make her a whole set.

So... I made her a "prototype" using this pattern. This is a great pattern, well written and works up really fast. It took about an hour to make, at the most and she took it home that night - then took it to work the next day to try out. She loved it. She wanted a whole set (with different colors to match her home decor). I got busy with the holidays and such but finally got around to making her a set. Now one of her co-workers wants a set of her own.
I used Lily's Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn in Softly Taupe and Landscape and and some old bank CDs that I got from a previous job (they were duplicate CDs and we didn't need them so I decided to put them to good use and just as a safety precaution I put a long stratch in each one the day I took I was given permission to take them home)
I was really happy with how they turned out - my mom even asked if I'd make her a set for mother's day and my mom (in general) doesn't usually ask me to crochet her anything, so you know she loved them!

6 comments:

  1. These are so pretty. I haven't crochet in so long.
    Good idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! I used to love watching my mom make these when I was young. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those looks neat. I bet they'd look good in a solid color too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so fun! Great idea, I hate how the coaster sticks to the cup too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving my coasters. The colors are perfect for my livingroom, and they are both fabulous and functional. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete