Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Dill Pickle Pasta Salad

Our family reunion is always the first Saturday in May, because that is the Saturday closest to my great-grandmother's birthday, who was born on May 8, 1894.

It is a pot luck style family reunion and we all bring something.  I don't always take something since I travel 5 hours to get there.  However, this year, it worked out that I was able to contribute and thank goodness....my dish was a HIT!!

I made Dill Pickle Pasta Salad.

As I have mentioned before, I am not a fan of pickles (or dill) and right now, I am eating low-carb so I didn't even taste it but everyone that did said they really liked it and one relative gobbled it up and asked to take some home.

So...I am sharing the recipe here.  If you like dill pickles and you like pasta salad, I am sure you will love this.

Dill Pickle Salad
(adapted from Spending with Pennies)


Ingredients

  • 1/2 lb dry shell pasta (about 3 cups)
  • 3/4 cup sliced pickles
  • 2/3 cup cheddar cheese , diced
  • 3 tablespoons finely diced white onion
  • 2 tablespoons fresh dill
  • 1/2 cup pickle juice

Dressing

  • 2/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 4 tablespoons pickle juice
  • salt & pepper to taste

Instructions

  1. Boil pasta al dente according to package directions. Run under cold water to stop cooking.
  2. Toss cold pasta with about 1/2 cup of pickle juice and set aside for about 5 minutes. Drain & discard pickle juice.
  3. Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
  4. Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
    I used cheddar cheese sticks and just cut them into smaller pieces
    I used the small dill pickles and cut into small slices

     Mix all ingredients together.


    It looks a little "soupy" at first but the flavors will mix together and the dressing will thicken as it refridgerates.


     See, after refrigeration, it is the proper texture


No comments:

Post a Comment