Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Boxcar Children

When I was a little girl, living in Columbus, Georgia, I loved library day at school - Waddell Elementary !  We had a day of the week that our class got to go to the library and just browse and read and check books out.  90% of the time I would head straight to the shelf where "The Boxcar Children" books were.

I loved reading the tales of Henry, Jessie, Violet and Benny (and Watch, their dog) - and I loved, loved, love the illustration in the book - like the one above.  I think I liked them because they were silhouette type illustrations so I could imagine for myself what they really looked like.

The covers have been updated and modernized and have more detail illustrations on it (on the cover, not sure about inside the books) but here is what the book looked like that I read back in the day.


My favorite character was Violet - I think it was because I could relate to her.  She was about 10 years old (I was probably 7 or 8 at the time).  She is the most sensitive of the children and is skillful at painting and sewing. (Crafty girl - just like me).  She can frequently win over grouchy characters and is good with animals. (I have always been very good with animal and sometimes prefer their company over humans - LOL).  Violet is often very shy (just like me) and loves playing the violin (well I didn't play violin but I was learning to play piano at the time). Of course, her favorite color is violet or purple (again - just like me) and she always wears one of those colors (I don't do that but would like to).

Even though this is a children's book (actually a series of books) - I've been thinking about picking this up and re-reading it - it has been a VERY long time and I think I would enjoy re-visiting some old friends.

If I were rich and famous - I would make this book into a movie (which as far as I know has never been done).  Why hasn't anyone thought of that? 


What books did you enjoy as a child ?

No comments:

Post a Comment