Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Arm Knitting - My Thoughts

There is a new trend that has been going on in the knitting world and it is called

ARM KNITTING

Here are my thoughts about it.

1) I think it is something that some yarn company invented as a way to use up a lot of yarn. Knitting with "needles" the size of your forearms take up a LOT of yarn.  Another reason I think a yarn company invented it is because it is "trendy" and people will want to try it so they...buy yarn...duh!

2) I think it is butt-ugly. I am sorry (if you are one that likes it) but seriously, it is UGLY.  Would you really, really wear something like this out in public ?


What about this?

Good grief - she looks she is choking !

3) The finish product, doesn't really look "knitted" - it just looks like a big mess of yarn wrapped around your neck - maybe it looks a little like you tried to braid it but it doesn't look knitted.



4) Once you start a project, you pretty much have to finish it - it isn't like knitting needles, you can't lay it down and pick it back up - I mean the yarn is all wrapped around you arms.  What if the phone rings?  What if the baby cries?  What if your 4 year old knocked over a glass of milk?  You would have to either not assist or mess up your knitting.  Crazy!





I think you get the point.  Now if you are looking at this and thing "Gee, that is kind of pretty" - well...I can't help you with that but you can learn how to arm knit by watching this video.

4 comments:

  1. Our daughter does finger knitting. I like the look of that A LOT better! It's finer and "skinnier". She's working on building her "clientele" for scarves.
    But I agree - the arm knitting doesn't look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finger knitting is nice - looks like regular knitting pretty much. I use to finger crochet when I first learned how since I was just a kid and had to save my allowance to buy a hook :)

      Delete
    2. My thoughts exactly on once you start it you have to finish it! I just imagined getting all that yarn wrapped around my arms and the cats deciding to start messing with the yarn, the phone ringing, the dogs needing to go out. And besides those hurking huge scarves, well, that is all you can make....a looks like a big ol' waste of yarn and time!

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with everything you've said here. The first time I saw it, I said to myself, "Wow, what a waste of yarn for such an ugly thing!" I even researched to see if there were patterns other than the ugly neck cowl/scarf blob and I did find a nice looking triangular shawl. Still... what a lot of yarn to make it. Not going to be jumping on this particular bandwagon anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete