Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Movie Monday - While You Were Sleeping

I absolutely love the 1995 While You Were Sleeping - I would probably be suffice to say that it is my 2nd favorite all time movie (To Sir, With Love is the first).


When this movie was released, I saw it at the theater, alone - because I couldn't find anyone to go with me that particular day and I really wanted to see it.  Then I went back and saw it again with my friend Susan, then I went back and saw it again with my sister, then I think I went back one more time by myself.  I loved it that much!  Remember this was in 1995, way before DVDs were commonplace and instant streaming - movies just weren't available about 2 months after their release, like they are now.  Back then even VHS movie release videos could be expensive - sometimes $50 - $75.  That is really hard to believe now !!! 

Anyway....I loved it.  I saw Sandra Bullock before withe her cute hair bob in Speed but after I saw this movie, I have loved her ever since.  I had also seen Bill Pullman in Sleepless in Seattle, A League of Their Own and most importantly in Spaceballs (which I also love!). 

One reason I wanted to see it was because Peter Gallagher was in it.  I had liked him since 1982 when he was in a movie with Daryl Hannah called "Summer Lovers"

At first I was disappointed when his character, logically named "Peter", was in an accident and spent the majority of the movie in a coma, but I liked Jack (Bill Pullman) so much that it was okay that Peter was not the star as I had thought he would be.


I love the character of Lucy, I think it is because I just felt like I could relate to her.  She had no family, and while I do, my family is very small.  She loved having that feeling of being with family and being a part of them - she appreciated it, as I do.  I quote this movie all the time - just ask my friends.  But one line really stood out to me...it is the night of Peter's accident, she met his family at the hospital and has returned to her small apt. above Joe, Jr. (haha - love that character too) and she can't sleep so she goes up to the hospital, just to sit with Peter (who she has seen every day at the train station where she works and loves from afar).    Here it is:

"Do you believe in love at first sight? Nah, I betcha don't, you're probably too sensible for that. Or have you ever, like, seen somebody? And you knew that, if only that person *really* knew you, they would, well, they would of course dump the perfect model that they were with, and realize that YOU were the one that they wanted to, just, grow old with. Have you ever fallen in love with someone you haven't even talked to? Have you ever been so alone you spend the night confusing a man in a coma?" 

I remember thinking that when I was growing up - that if the guy I was interested in "REALLY" knew me, that he would realize I was the perfect girl for him.


One of my favorite parts is when Jack gives Lucy the snowglobe of Florence, Italy because she told him she had a passport but hadn't been anywhere but if she could go anywhere, it would be Florence.
How sweet was he??

Of course the movie ends on a happy note - Peter gets better (and is very funny), Jack proposes to Lucy and he takes her to Italy (where she always wanted to go) for their honeymoon.



Just a great romantic comedy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment