Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Buddy Epsen - The Tin Man

I am sure that most people know that Buddy Epsen (well knows as Jed Clampett of the Beverly Hillbillies) was supposed to play the part of the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz.  However, due to a severe allergic reaction to the aluminum powder makeup, he couldn't.

(Note: They used aluminum paste makeup on Jack Haley to ensure they didn't have the same problem that Epsen had)

What a lot of people may not know is that he did record "If I Only Had a Heart".  I really like it but in the end, I am glad that Jack Haley ended up with the role.  I have a great fondness for the tin man.  He is so sweet and gentle.  While Buddy Ebsen does a wonderful version of this song.  I love Jack Haley's angelic voice and can't imagine anyone else as the Tin Man.

Interesting Fact 1:  Did you know that Liza Minnelli, Judy Garland's (aka Dorthy) daughter, became Jack Haley's (the Tin Man's) daughter-in-law?  Liza was married to Jack Haley, Jr. 

Interesting Fact 2:   Did you know that Jack Haley (the Tin Man) was the Godfather to John Lahr, who was Bert Lahr's (the Lion) son?

Anyway....here is Buddy Epsen's version of "If I Only Had a Heart"


No comments:

Post a Comment