Pages

Saturday, February 17, 2018

52 Amcestors in 52 Weeks - Week 7


This week's prompt is "Valentine"

I only really know of a couple of "Valentine" stories to tell so I am going to tell the story of how my parents ended up together.

My parents were raised in the same town.  In a small town, they all know each other and my dad's family were kind of the family from the "wrong side of the tracks" - the "rough kids" as you would have it. 

My mom's family, on the other hand were church going Christians that were at church every time the doors were open. 

My dad's younger brother and my mother were in school together and rode the bus.  My dad was at home one day sitting on the porch when the bus pulled up and his brother got out.  My dad asked him "Who is that pretty girl sitting on the front seat of the bus behind the driver?"  My uncle said, "That is Mary Nell"

My dad said "I'm going to marry her".  My uncle laughed and said "William, there is no way her daddy will let you within 5 feet of her, all she does is go to school and church" My dad said "What church?" so he told him.

Sunday, my dad went to church and asked my mom out on a date.  She said yes but of course it had to be a double date so they went Al's Drive In (yes, just like in Happy Days) along with my mom's sister and her boyfriend (who happened to be a friend of my dad's).

Less than 4 months later, they were married !!!

Guess my dad just knew right away.  I love that story. 💕





No comments:

Post a Comment