Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Keto Crack Slaw



I haven't shared this with a lot of people, but I am sharing here (which means I am still not sharing with a lot of people because no one ever reads my blog - haha).   At the advise of my doctor, I started following the Keto Way of Eating (or WOE as we call it).  I don't call it a diet because it isn't a "diet" in the traditional terms.  It truly is a way of eating.

I started on October 2, 2018 and stuck to it 100%, that is until about 2 weeks before Christmas and I did slide here and there, having a cookie or two every once in a while and eating my mom's high-carb Christmas dinner.  But I got back on track January 8th and have been following it since.

Some people just drop the pounds like dropping a hot plate.  I read others on the Facebook group saying things like "I've been doing Keto for 3 months and I've lost 50 pounds" or "I've been on Keto for 2 weeks and have already lost 20 pounds"

Well..that simply is not me.  I don't lose weight easily - I just don't.  I know people don't believe me when I say that I have followed Keto religiously for 2 weeks and haven't lost a single pound.  They are like, yeah, right, you are not following it then...but I am not one to lie to myself and I KNOW when I am following a plan and when I am "cheating".  I am sure my doctor's don't believe me when I go in and I haven't lost weight since my last check up - they think I am not exercising or that I am eating the wrong things but I'm not...I just lose very, very, very, very, very, very, very slowly.  That is just how my body works.

But...I stick to it because Keto has other benefits.  Namely, anti-inflammatory.  Since eating this way, I feel so much better, my joints don't hurt and my lymphedema is even better - I still have it of course, nothing can cure it but it doesn't hurt like it did - I'm more mobile and I just feel better. 

So...I am so grateful that one of the Refupeas suggested Kristie Sullivan's Keto Living Day by Day book.  This book is my "Keto Bible".  I had been reading and using The Keto Diet by Leanne Vogel, which is a very good book too, but Kristie Sullivan's story more closely reflects my life and she is just not as technical/medical as Ms. Vogel.  I can just relate to Kristie Sullivan more and her book is so easy to read and use.

She also has a You Tube channel and a Facebook group and both have helped me.  One of the recipes in her Keto Living Day by Day book and also on her You Tube channel is Crack Slaw.  While I don't care for the name (I don't like any recipe that uses the name that starts with Crack - they use it because it means it is addicting - like the drug but people that use crack have a big problem and I don't like how some will use the term so lightly when crack is a serious subject.  But I digress.

I did modify it slightly but not enough to effect the macros



Kristie's Crack Slaw (6 Servings) 1 1/2 lbs Ground beef (recommend 73 % lean / 27% fat) 1 tsp Bacon grease 1 Tbsp Onion Powder (I substituted for dried onions) ½ tsp Salt 1 Tbsp Ginger Powder (I used this instead of fresh ginger, which I didn't have on hand) 1 tsp Garlic powder (I doubled the amount because I love it)
1 tsp Red Pepper flakes
2 oz. Coconut aminos (see note) 4 cups Shredded cabbage (I found pre-bagged, pre-shredded - saved a lot of time)
1 tsp Toasted sesame oil
Brown ground beef on medium/high. I drained the pan and then added the bacon grease. Over medium heat, add onion powder, salt, ginger powder and garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Stir until mixed. Add the coconut aminos and stir. Add the cabbage and cook until tender (about 10 min). Turn off. Stir in toasted sesame oil and serve - makes 6 servings.
Note: Coconut aminos, which is similar to soy sauce but not as salty and tastes much better, were a little hard to find but since Keto is becoming more popular, it is getting a little easier. I found it at Walmart. It isn't cheap, about $8 a bottle but the flavor is worth it and it should last a pretty good while.

Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Oh my goodness - this is so good! I ate one serving (as I always do) but I wanted more. I couldn't wait until the next day to have some leftovers at lunch and was sad when all the servings had been eaten. This will become a regular! And I don't even usually like cabbage but it was good in this!



No comments:

Post a Comment