Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Spiderman, Spiderman, Does Whatever a Spider Can

One of my employees had a baby back in October.  She has a 26 year old, a 7 year old and now a baby!  I told her that she has had a child in every decade of her life (20s, 30s and 40s) - Haha!  I think she was actually 18 or 19 when her first son was born, but you know, close enough to 20, right?

Her nursery had a nautical theme, and I have never knitted a baby blanket before (always crocheted) but I have loved this pattern (Come Sail Away) for many years and wanted to make it but didn't have the right person to make it for.  I just knew she'd truly appreciate it so I decided to knit it for her.

She didn't give me much time.  Due to prior miscarriages (so sad for her), she didn't want to tell anyone until she was in her 3rd trimester and she did a great job at hiding it - she wears kind of blousy dresses and tops anyway so she just knew how to hide it well and boy I had NO IDEA she was pregnant until she told me.  She told me around the first of July and her due date was October!  That only gave me 3 months to knit this, which for some may seem like plenty of time.

However,
(a) I am a slower knitter and
(b) July-September is my "busy" season at work, lots of overtime.

So, when I wasn't working, I was knitting!!  Anyway, I am so glad I made the effort because she loved it and she cried when she got it - I knew she truly was grateful for it. 



I must admit, I was really happy with it.  I did make a little mistake on the border but only I can see it (and probably another knitter).  It is very soft.  I used Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Baby Blue.

Well...I wanted to make her 7 year old an afghan too because I didn't want him to feel left out that the baby was getting all these gifts.  Sadly, since I didn't have enough time, I didn't get to finish the afghan for him in time for the baby shower or in time for the birth of his little brother. 

Then, since the employee was out (because she did have a baby after all), I was having to do 2 jobs (mine and hers) and working lots of overtime so it didn't leave much time to make the other afghan.  Plus, I now didn't have a deadline really so I didn't work on it a lot...however, knowing that she was coming back after the New Year, I was determined to complete it so she'd have it to give to her son when she returned to work.

I made him this Spiderman Afghan, because, lets face it, what 7 year old doesn't love Spiderman?  He loves the Black Panther but I couldn't find a project to make related to that character so I stuck with Spiderman.  Like the Come Sail Away Afghan, I've wanted to make this Superhero Dreamcatcher Afghan for years! Years, I tell you...originally, I wanted to crochet it for my Godson when he was about 10, but I never got around to it and now that he is 19, I don't think he would appreciate it quite the same. 😃  So I was very happy to have a 7 year old little boy to crochet this for.

I am very happy with it.



I did find a problem with the pattern though.  When you switch from red to blue or vice versa, you are supposed to put a ring of single crochets in black, but after the first round of red, it didn't say to add the black (although it said to do so after the rounds of blue).  After I finished the blue, I realized that it looked funny not to have the black ring around the first rounds of the red, in the center, so I had to rip it all out (ugh), add the black round and then re-crochet the blue rounds in the center again. 

It is funny, because even the photo on the website, shows the round of black after the first red round, but is is NOT written that way in the pattern!.  

I'm making another one for a little boy at church.  He received a heart transplant 3 years ago at age 3 and now at age 6, he was diagnosed with lymphoma - cancer on his lung, near his aorta.  (Please pray for him if you are reading this - his name is Everett).  He is responding well to treatment and I heard yesterday that he may be even going home Monday (he has been in the hospital since Dec. 20th.)

I am working pretty quickly on it so hope to have it finished within the week maybe...we shall see.




No comments:

Post a Comment