Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Slocomb, Alabama


I love the little sleepy town of Slocomb, Alabama.... now.  I drive through this town on the way from my home, in Georgia to my parents home in Florida.  The funny thing is, I use to hate to drive through this town.  Years ago, when I was young, I remember my dad got into a run in of sorts with these 2 guys also driving through town at the same time, it was one of those things where my dad would do something to tick the guys off and they'd do something to tick my dad off - he even turned around at one point to kind of "go after them", so I had bad memories driving through there.

However, now I really like that little town.  They are home of the Tomato Festival (and they do grow good tomatoes there) and Tomato Nut.   It is just a quaint, nice little town.

On New Year's Eve, my friend Susan and I were passing through Slocumb on our way from Bonify, FL to Dothan, AL to see my dad, who is in the hospital there.  I mentioned to her that there was a great country buffet there - called Zack's and did she want to have lunch and of course she was all for that !

So  we stopped and had a delicious lunch.  I had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, fried green tomatoes, cheese grits and veggies.
Susan had fried catfish, cheese grits, chicken fingers, beef tips and rice and of course fried green tomatoes



I had to go to the restroom before we left and found this funny little mural painted in the back...the little mule is working hard in the field but thinking about how great a John Deere tractor would be -HA HA

 Afterwards, we walked over to Dalton Pharmacy to pick up a couple of things for my mom - what a cute store !  I could have looked in there for hours.  It has been in business since 1903 - very cool.


While we were crossing the street back over to go to the car, Susan noticed their "Traffic Light" and insisted I take a picture of it.  Here it is on the corner...as you can see, the street is NOT busy at all - yes, it was New Year's Eve but this corner pretty much looks this busy all the time.


Did you see the "Traffic Light"?  What do you think of it - very modern, huh?  Here is a close up shot of it... (you can also click on the photo above to get a closer look)


Yes, folks, it is a 4 way stop sign, hanging up instead of a traffic light.  Too funny !!!  Just one more reason to love this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment