Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Barry Manilow Concert

A few years ago, my friend Teresa and I had tickets to go see Barry Manilow at Chastain Amphitheater.  But the day of the show - hours before the show, actually - he canceled.

No reason was given but the radio station was saying that he canceled because he didn't like the venue (outdoor, hot, small dressing room).  I don't know if all that was true but I was so disappointed and especially disappointed because we didn't know it had been canceled until we showed up at the Amphitheater and saw a sign on the gate.

We got our money back and about a year or so later, he came back to a different venue - a large arena but I decided to pass on the tickets because I was a bit miffed at the previous cancellation, plus I thought the tickets were a bit expensive.



Well..fast forward to July 27th, 2017.  A few months ago, when I heard he was coming to the Fox Theatre.  I thought this was a good venue to see him - the perfect place, actually so Teresa and I decided to give it a go.

Oh My Gosh!!!  I am so glad we went.  Everyone was given a green glow stick when they came in the door, which was pretty cool.

Let me just say that Barry Manilow is a TRUE PROFESSIONAL ENTERTAINER.  He is not a just a singer, he is an ENTERTAINER.  You can tell this man has rehearsed and has everything down to precision.  He seems to be a perfectionist when it comes to performing.





Of course we knew (and sang along) to every - single - song!!!

  • It's a Miracle
  • Daybreak
  • Somewhere in the Night
  • Can't Smile Without You
  • Bandstand Boogie
  • The Old Songs
  • Looks Like We Made It
  • This is My Town (the only song we didn't know - a new song and I loved it)
  • On Broadway
  • New York City Rhythm
  • I Am Your Child (Beautiful)
  • Even Now (which was powerful and passionate!!)
  • Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart (Judy Garland Duet who was on a screen)
  • Weekend in New England (blew me away!!)
  • Let's Hang On! (The Four Seasons Cover)
  • Somewhere Down the Road (he sat on the edge of the stage while singing this)
  • Ships (blew me away again!)
  • Could It Be Magic (along with his old self on the screen - then the Donna Summer Disco Version)
  • Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed
  • I Made It Through The Rain
  • Mandy / Could It Be Magic 
  • I Write The Songs (boy does he ever!!!)

He went off stage for a bit and it showed some clips and then he came back out with a different (white) jacket) and sang:

  • Copacabana
  • It's a Miracle (bringing it back full circle)




After he sang Even Now - which seriously brought tears to my eyes because it was so good - he got a 5 minute standing ovation - right in the middle of the show - he would have gotten a longer standing ovation except he started talking which made us calm down.  He also got a standing ovation after "Weekend in New England" and of course and amazing ovation at the end of the show.





Wow!! Wow!! Wow!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. When I attended jr. college, Barry M was so popular. His music always reminds me of those happy, carefree days.

    ReplyDelete