Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Local Recipes

Each week, our newspaper has a section called "From the Menu of...." and it features recipes from local (or nearby) restaurants.

You can write in (via email) and request a favorite recipe.  Sometimes the honor it, sometimes the don't but that is understandable (company secrets and all).

I once had the most delicious squash casserole of my entire life at a local place called Thinking Man Tavern in Decatur, GA and days later I was still craving more.  I wrote in for the recipe. 

I got a reply back from the Atlanta Journal & Constitution (AJC) and they said they would request the recipe but they have a big back log because they receive a lot of requests and it could take up to a year but to be patient...so I was.  About 10 months later, I received an email.

They requested the recipe and Thinking Man Tavern was happy to obliged but...the only problem was the chef that developed that recipe was not longer there and he didn't leave behind his recipes (naturally) and they no longer had it but they would be happy to give me their Broccoli & Rice Casserole recipe.  Well..I already have one of those that I like so I gladly replied with "Thank you for trying."

I am sure if I didn't have to wait 8 months I probably would have gotten the recipe because the chef still would have been there...but I totally understand that the AJC fills requests first come, first serve and it just took a while to finally get to my request...at least they tried.

I saw a couple of recipes in today's paper that I thought I would share.

One is for the yummy Macaroni & Cheese that is served at S & S Cafeteria.  There used to be one near my house but it closed about a year ago so Kroger could expand (and now it seems they may not) - there is another location but nowhere near me so I am glad they shared this recipe.



The other recipe is actually is from a resturant in Pine Mountian, GA - a short drive away.  My sister and I ate there back in December, twice (once for dinner and we went back the next day for breakfast) - although in Pine Mountian, there are not a lot of restaurant to choose from - Ha Ha!!



Since I only get the physical copy of the paper on Sunday only, I can't clip these recipes out of the paper and save them anymore so I thought...I will clip the digital copy and save it to my blog...easy peasy!

My mom is coming to visit in a couple of weeks - maybe I will make both of these while she is here - yummy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment