Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Oscar Ready - 2018 Version

I am ready for the Oscars!!  They are tonight and I love the Academy Awards.  I don't watch many award shows but I never miss the Academy Awards because I LOVE the movies.

As I have for many years in the past, I have seen all the best picture nominated movies and here are my thoughts.

Lady Bird - In 2002, an artistically inclined seventeen-year-old girl comes of age in Sacramento, California. You see Lady Bird (as she likes to be called, go through her senior year, have her first romantic relationship, participate in a school play, go to prom and eventually off to collage.

I'm not sure why this movie takes place in 2002 because it could have taken place in 2017 and had the same effect.  My review - very good.  Laurie Metcalf was fantastic as the mom and I would love to see her win Best Supporting Actress.



Call Me By Your Name - In 1980s Italy, a romance blossoms between a seventeen year-old student and the older man hired as his father's research assistant. The young lead, is actually an American, with an American father and Italian mother, they go to Italy in the summer and during Christmas.  This takes place during the summer. 

I can kind of see why this takes place in the 1980s because it was before gay relationships were as widely accepted as they are now - people were more in the closet back then.  The movie was good and I liked it but I am not sure it deserves an Oscar nomination.  But then again, I didn't think Moonlight deserved an Oscar nomination last year either and it won Best Picture. 

I did think a few scenes were uh...odd...such as a self-pleasuring scene with an apricot and Oliver's father basically telling him that he was gay too but back in his day that would have never been accepted so he married and lead a typical life (they didn't use those words exactly but it was heavily implied).


Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - A mother personally challenges the local authorities to solve her daughter's murder when they fail to catch the culprit.

I really liked this movie - a lot!  It is billed as a dark comedy but it really isn't.  It is a drama.  Frances McDormand is wonderful and I think deserves Best Actress - as always and Sam Rockwell was fantastic and I hope he wins Best Supporting Actor.  The movie also stars Lucas Hedges (he was also in Lady Bird) and Kathryn Newton, has a small part as his sister and she was ALSO in Lady Bird. 

Of the nominated movies, this one was my 2nd favorite.


Get Out - A young African-American goes to meet his white girlfriend's parents for a weekend in their secluded estate in the woods, but before long, the friendly and polite ambience will give way to a nightmare.

This movie isn't exactly what I thought it would be.  It was creepy and suspenseful.  I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would...in fact, I saw it twice (luckily it was on HBO and I had recorded it).   It is billed as a horror movie and I don't like horror movies but I really wouldn't classify it as horror - the last 5 minutes was a bit of a blood bath but the rest of the movie wasn't like that at all - it was just creepy and kept you guessing.  It is an usual Oscar pick, but it was a good movie so I sort of can see why it was selected.



Dunkirk - Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire and France are surrounded by the German Army, and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.

This is the only Oscar nominated movie that I found myself bored with - I kept waiting for it to get over.  I was so looking forward to seeing but there wasn't enough dialogue for me I suppose.  Surprisingly, I found it kind of boring.  Very disappointed with this one.  Too bad.


Darkest Hour - During the early days of World War II, the fate of Western Europe hangs on the newly-appointed British Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, who must decide whether to negotiate with Adolf Hitler, or fight on against incredible odds. I liked this one. 

I actually saw it just before Dunkirk and I am glad I did because it discussed Dunkirk quite a bit in this movie.   I enjoyed this movie and recommend it.  Gary Oldman is perhaps one of the greatest actors that ever lived and he is fantastic as Churchill.  I love the scene when he was in the London Underground and talking to the people.  Very, very good!


The Post - A cover-up that spanned four U.S. Presidents pushed the country's first female newspaper publisher and a hard-driving editor to join an unprecedented battle between the press and the government.

I loved this movie but when a movie stars Tom Hanks AND Meryl Streep - you know it will be good.  As I have mentioned many times, I love them both and Meryl Streep is my favorite actress - she is just amazing - I would love to see her win Best Actress but I do think that Frances McDormand deserves it too.  Tough to choose on this.

Great movie and makes you appreciate the media - the way it USE to be - wish we still had people like that running our papers and news programs.


Phantom Thread - Set in 1950's London, Reynolds Woodcock is a renowned dressmaker whose fastidious life is disrupted by a young, strong-willed woman, Alma, who becomes his muse and lover.

I really enjoyed this movie a lot - the story was good, Daniel Day Lewis was great (isn't he always?) and the costumes where amazing, of course!  It had kind of sick twisted ending though and I was left kind of going - huh? really?  I can see why it was nominated for Best Picture - very good.



The Shape of Water - At a top secret research facility in 1962, a lonely janitor forms a unique relationship with an amphibious creature that is being held in captivity.

Yet another movie set in another time - if you are keeping count, that is 7 of the 9 nominated movies that were set in the past.

I saved this one for last because I LOVED this movie.  The plot sounds so strange, I know, but it was so good!  I found myself teary eyed a couple of times.  Great acting, great and different story - unique.  I would have never gone to see this movie if it hadn't been nominated for best picture but I am so glad I saw it.  It may not be for everyone but I loved it and while I'm not sure that it will win best picture, I really want it to.

So...there you have it, my annual Best Picture nomination reviews.  Did you see any of these movies?  If so, what did you think of them?


No comments:

Post a Comment