Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

2013 Concerts

Several years ago...I stood in the POURING rain during an Aerosmith/KISS concert (I had lawn seats and it poured buckets through the entire show).

I swore then that I was getting to old for this and decided to stop going to concerts (I've been to HUNDREDS in my life, one day I will list them all).

That lasted for several years.  The only concerts I saw pretty much since then were Donny & Marie or the Osmonds but they are special and I will always see them whenever I get a chance.

In 2013, however, I went to quite a few concerts.  Didn't really plan to do so but it just sort-of happened.

I suppose the first one was on May 5, 2013 - Edwin McCain at the Red Clay Theater.  My friend, Teresa, and I went.  I really consider this more of a "show" than a "concert" since it took place in a local venue, owned and operated by my friend, Eddie Owen.  But Edwin McCain has had quite a few mainstream hits...including I Could Not Ask For More and  I'll Be.  I am sure if you click on the you tube links that I have here - you will recognize these songs.  He was great !  Very interactive with the audience and I was also impressed with the opening act - Erick Baker.  If you ever get a chance to see either (or both) of these fellas - do it!


The first BIG concert was...Fleetwood Mac on June 10, 2013 at Philips Arena.  My friend, Anita, is a big fan of theirs and since a milestone birthday was coming up for her...I got tickets for she and I.  She drove down from Virginia and spent a few days with me and we saw a great show !  I have seen Stevie Nicks before and actually, she is sort of the reason that Anita and I became friends in the first place - another story for another time.  But...I hadn't seen Fleetwood Mac before - what an amazing show that was - wow - once in a lifetime I am sure !!



Just a few days later, my friend Susan and I went to Chastain Park to see Indigo Girls.  Now I have know Amy and Emily since before they were even signed recording artist so they are not "stars" to me, they are friends.  We grew up in the same town and we use to hang out at most of the same places in the late 1980s, early 90s.  So like the Osmonds, the Indigos get a pass when it comes to concerts - I see them whenever I can.

This time, they were playing with Joan Baez - a legend - who I had never seen.  She was great and of course the Indigos were great - they always are.





Then...a few days after that on June 20, 2013, my friend Lynn and I went to see Boyz II Men, 98 Degrees and New Kids On The Block.  She loves, loves, loves Donnie Wahlberg.  Now...I really like Boyz II Men, do not know much about 98 Degrees and like NKOTB but I wasn't what you would call "a fan".  In fact, if it were not for Lynn, this is not the type of concert I would have bought tickets to.  However, when NKOTB were in town a couple of years ago, I know Lynn was disappointed that she didn't get to go so I got her tickets for her birthday.  I told her she could take anyone, I didn't have to go but she wanted me to go. Boy, I am so glad she did.


Boyz II Men really pumped up the place and got us going - they were so much fun and such energy!


After their set, 98 Degrees performed.  They were really good too but I am sad to say that I didn't know a single song of theirs.  They put on a great performance, I enjoyed them but was ready for them to move along and bring on NKOTB.


I was blown away by NKOTB - WOW! WOW! WOW!  These guys are not singers - they are performers!!  Now all in their 40s - they are extremely energetic and sexy!  What a performance - I hadn't heard some of their new songs (they released a new CD for this tour) but I loved the new stuff as well as the old stuff that I was familiar with.  I am SOOOO glad I went to this show - one of the best shows I have ever seen!



Then after 3 concerts in one month, I took a little break - whew!  The next show was Adam Ant on August 4, 2013 at Center Stage.  My sister, Sheree, friend Susan and I all went to see him.  I was so happy when he came out with a new CD in 2013 - finally!! But about lost it when I saw he was not only doing a North American Tour but was coming to my town - whoo hoo !!!!!!  This was one of the highlights of my entire year !  He was amazing!  Sang about 5 new songs and the rest was all older stuff - even songs I would have never expected.  I love him so much.




Then another break for a few months and saw Gary Numan on October 25, 2013 at The Masquerade.  Again, more of a show, then a concert, per se, but I never, ever thought I would get to see him.  I was suppose to go to this with my friend, Susan but she was out of town for work so I just went by myself.  No one else I know really is familiar with his music (except for Cars).  While I like Cars, it is by far my fave.  I pretty much love EVERY song off the Telekon album.


Then on November 8, 2013, I went to see Chris Tomlin at the Gwinnett Area.  He is my favorite Contemporary Christian singer. I had planned to take my sister to this but she had decided to go out of town for her birthday so my friend, Teresa, went with me.  I didn't know if she'd like it because she isn't familiar with him at all - never heard of him.  Plus she doesn't really listen to Christian music.  But she loved it!  She sang right along (words were on a big screen) and seemed to really enjoy herself.  What a high energy show full of praise and worship!


And to finish out the year....I got to see Donny & Marie perform their Christmas show on December 10, 2013 at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.  My friends Susan (from Indigos and Adam Ant), Lynn (from NKOTB) and Penny (co-worker), went too.  We had so much fun in Nashville (that is another story too) but the best part was seeing Donny and Marie - they played for over 2 hours and we were 8th row center!!  What a great way to end the year.




2 comments:

  1. So cool! I would have loved to see KISS! I also saw NKOTB, Boyz II Men and 98 degrees. Great show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been to so many concerts! Woah. I've been to a few. But my favorite idols have concerts too far. Once I was lucky enough to be in Singapore when Aaron Kwok performed and I got to see him live, and another time I was lucky enough to have Korean group VIXX hold a concert in our neighbor country Sweden.

    Boyz II Men! I love their songs. I had no idea they're still performing! That's really cool, I'm sure they were awesome. NKOTB would be interesting to see as well.. that's a band I read about from Barbie magazines when I was a kid, hehe. Don't really know them well, but..^^

    ReplyDelete