Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Instant Pot - First Try - Chili



The Instant Pot is all the rage in the cooking world.  It actually has been for a little while but I was resistant to get a pressure cooker based on stories I had heard but the Instant Pot is a newer, safer Pressure Cooker.

I have been sort of shopping (looking) around for a new crock-pot (slow cooker) because mine is very old and doesn't work well and is all scratched up on the inside but I heard you can use the Instant Pot as a slow cooker as well. 

I also heard that the Instant Pot cooks food very fast and very good.

I decided to make some Chili - to have now and to freeze some for later (this recipe makes a lot)

Here is the recipe I tried.




Pressure Cooker Chili Recipe

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion chopped
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 pkg. McCormick Chili Mix (I used one regular and one hot)
1 heaping tablespoon of baking Cocoa (must be unsweetened)
1 teaspoon salt
1 small can tomato paste
1 29 oz can tomato sauce
1 can Rotel tomatoes + chili peppers (I used mild)
2 cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
2 15 oz cans Red Kidney Beans - drained
1 15 oz can Pinto Beans - drained
1 15 oz can Black Beans - drained
1 cup dark beer

DIRECTIONS

1. Brown the ground beef. When beef is no longer pink, add the chopped onion and sauté until tender.

2. Mix in the dry spices and sauté another minute to be sure the beef is well seasoned. Add the tomato paste and mix well.

3. Add the tomato sauce, and all the cans of tomatoes and beans. Stir. Add the beef broth.

4. Lock the lid and set for 30 minutes at high pressure. It will take a while to come to pressure, since there is so much in the pot. Give it 15 minutes of natural release and then use quick release. Add salt and pepper to taste.








Results?  I thought it was pretty tasty.  It sure was easy enough to make.  The only thing I would do different is puree my roasted tomatoes in a food processor next time because I like my chili a little less chunky.  Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.




Have you tried the Instant Pot?  Do you have any good recipes to share for a newbie like me?


No comments:

Post a Comment